I've also basically finished Kanaya. The skirt was easier than expected to make, it took me only one night to put all of it together. I did have to take it in a couple of times though, I made it too big to begin with because I was terrified to make it too tight as I didn't have much time to finish it. But it's all done now, so I won't have to worry about that anymore. I lack any progress photos of this piece since it didn't take too long to make, I usually take my progress shots when I stop working that night, but this was finished in one night, so no progress pics this time, just one of the finished product.
Most Kanaya cosplayers I've seen have used a different technique, making the skirt one piece, and basically sewing the layers together, but I've always interpreted her skirt in this way, a two layered thing, I just figured that makes more sense, as she has the buttons in the front too. It's not too obvious in the picture above, but the fabric is layered on the left side, she has these lines going on on the skirt in the pictures of her, so I decided to think of it as layers. Lots and lots of guesswork was involved in making this skirt, but I'm ok with the result. It had been properly ironed since that picture too, and it's slightly more red in real life, our hallway lighting is kind of weird.
And then there was the ribbon. In the comic it isn't neat and clean, she uses it to conceal a major wound, so naturally it is a little bloody. And for you who don't know Homestuck, the trolls don't all have red blood, they have different blood colors, and Kanayas happens to be green, as displayed on her shirt. I used the same fabric paint for the belt as for the symbol on her shirt, only mixed with some water to give more of a natural look. It is a piece of fabric concealing a wound after all, just slabbing some green paint on top of the belt wouldn't look good, I wanted to create an illusion that the color comes from behind the fabric, and that she have bled through it. And this is the result I got;
When it still was wet. You can see I used a good amount of
Impatient as I am I ended up drying the paint with a
blowdryer, because why not? Faster is better.
The (kind of) finished and dried paint. A more opaque green
in the middle and less defined along the edges.
(It still was a liittle damp when I took the pic)
That'd be it for my Kanaya, sewing wise. I quite like how it turned out, considering the very small amount of time put into it. I hope you like it :D You will probably and hopefully get to see some pictures of this cosplay in action after Frostbite, I hope you look forward to that~
Also, damn, I usually listen to soundtrack music when working on cosplays, I just find I can focus better when there aren't any words, but I still like to listen to something, so soundtrack music it is, and when working this belt I listened almost exclusively to Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows 2 soundtrack, especially this song, seriously, if you like epic sountracks, check it out. It's amazing. Now. Ok, good.
I don't have much else to say, you might see another update before I leave for Frostbite, and that one would be going more into detail about the wig and horns, but I'm not making any promises~